Sunday, March 24, 2019

Self Challenge #2 - Self Publish

I think I've mentioned before that I'm not a patient person.
The process to be traditionally published is long and sometimes painful, so I'm always looking for ways to DO something to ease the process. This blog, the Rose's Ghost Facebook page, my one chapter a day challenge which resulted in Bird With a Broken Wing - these have all been my way of surviving the tough parts.
Now, I feel that familiar discouragement simmering, so it's time for another challenge!
I'm still writing Book 3 of the Rose's Ghost series, and I've been determined to get the series published traditionally. But what about self publishing? I'm curious. It's been suggested by friends, family and readers alike, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. But I can write pretty fast, and Amazon has some amazing resources to help - what if I wrote a book just to test it out?
What if I write a chapter a day, giving myself a month to get a new book written and prepare it for publishing on Amazon? What if I published it on my birthday? Is it doable?
My birthday is on April 26th. What a cool birthday present to myself that would be, huh?
If I'm honest, I'm thinking prepping it for publishing will be the most difficult part. I know they have some guidelines and anything published has to meet certain formatting standards, etc. Stuff I'm not so awesome at...
If I fail, it'll be that stuff that drags me down. So I'll give myself a bit of a break: if, by April 26th, I've finished a new book and have prepared it to the best of my ability for self publishing, and I'm waiting on approvals or other technical stuff from Amazon, I've succeeded.
I think that's fair?
Better get to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment